Thursday, May 3, 2012

Eat it!

It's good for you...

Being on a raw food diet and being lazy or crazy busy can be hard. Throwing together a salad or just eating fruit becomes the normal and can quickly become boring. But this time I committed to putting time and effort as much as I can to create tasty, healthy, interesting and new meals to keep me going for the whole month and maybe longer.

My first thing to do was to research raw food eating plans and recipes. There are tons of great resources on the Internet to use. I found dietary tips, nutritional facts, How To's and more. I wanted to read as much as I could before I started. When eating raw food, one of the most interesting things I learned, is you are able to intake more nutrition than when you cook the food. On the other hand, you have to eat larger quantities to really feel full and be satisfied. Therefore, most meal plans included eating about 5 times a day. For those of you that know me, I like to eat twice most days and I thought this was going to be the hardest part for me. But it turns out, when your body is hungry it will let you know, and the best thing to do it feed it! The best time to eat is when you feel hungry and your body is giving you signs. Many times, as Americans, we eat whenever we want, however much we want, as much as we want! This is not a good habit to get in to.

Keeping our bodies hydrated is REALLY important. It helps our digestive system and evens out our hunger.Also, many times when we feel hungry or want a snack, our bodies actually just want some old fashion H2O- so try that next time you are snooping through the cabinets just because.

The Food Network and Raw Food Recipes I found to be my two favorite recipe resources so far and I am still on the hunt for more!

One thing I like about recipes is you are given a great idea of where to start. I dislike following recipes exactly for two reasons: 1. Because I like to make it my own and improvise a little. I also just like to use whatever is in my house instead of getting every specific thing on the list (I get this from my Dad). 2. Because there is no such thing as exact measurements (I get this from my Grandmothers) "A pinch" or "A handful" or "A little bit of this and that". Therefore you will see in the posts to come the recipe I got the idea from and how I did it differently (but I will try to give abouts for measurements when I give my recipes).

Day 2: On the Menu
Leek and Zucchini Pasta Salad
http://www.rawfoodrecipes.com/recipes/leek-succhini-pasta-salad.html

My version:
Vegetable Pasta Salad:
2 Zucchinis
2 Avocados
1/2 Stalk of Lettuce
1/2 cup of Onions
1 Table Spoon Garlic
1 Handful of Sunflower Seeds
Lemon Juice- Lightly coat
A little Oil
REMEMBER: None of these measurements are exact
Preparation:
Chop all ingredients add in a large bowl. Add oil and lemon juice. Mix all together. Let sit for at least 10 minutes to allow all the flavors to blend.

Chicken:
Coconut Oil (used because it is better for your health than regular oil and is not as greasy)
Lemon Juice
Chicken Breast
Preparation:
Heat coconut oil in pan (enough to coat the bottom). Chop chicken in bite sized pieces. Add chicken over medium/high heat when coconut oil is melted completely. Cover the pan and rotate chicken as needed. Allow all sides to cook lightly. Add lemon juice (1/2 way covering the chicken). Turn down the heat to low/simmer and cover. Allow the chicken to simmer for at least 10-15 minutes, mixing up the chicken every few minutes. Empty the lemon juice and add a little more coconut oil. Lightly brown all sides of the chicken.

Hummus:Spicy Spinach and Pesto Hummus
This hummus was homemade by my cousin. Therefore I don't have the recipe but it was good!

Add all three to your plate and ENJOY! Dip your chicken into the hummus and even try all 3 together. (As you can see in the picture, I completely separate all my food because I don't want them to touch until I'm ready to dip it, but that is just me)

Mine made enough for 3 to eat, have seconds and to enough for leftovers the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment