Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Back to the future- Love Yourself Link Up

Growing up I've always had amazing role models.  These lovely, strong,  intelligent, ambicous,  classy, passionate, God-fearing women.  My Nonna (grandma), my Mom, small group leaders Becca and Channing,  my mentor Elise, my younger sister and many of my friends.  I knew who they were at their worst and best.  They shared their life with me and allowed me to open up and be myself with them. They were loving,  accepting and encouraging to me.  They all played a role in my life to help see something in myself that I didn't see both good and bad.  I always said when I get older I want to be like that,  have that characteristic, carry myself like that,  be that someone for someone else...
In the past few years I've realized that I am at the age or already passed the age of these older wise women.  But I'm not who I said I was going to be,  I'm not doing the things I wanted to be doing when I got older,  I'm not them right now. What happened?
Recently I realized that I thought I was just going to become these women and obtain these characteristics just because I was older and because I wanted to.  I had to learn 2 things:
First, that I am not going to be anyone else but myself. I am unique and one of a kind and that's a gift we all posses. I want supposed to be them, I'm supposed to be me. I have  characteristics that I need for my life and to be influential where I am at. I have learned that being who I am is so important and being the best me I can. God has formed me, taught me and made me, just me.
Second, I learned that I can't just become something because I want or because I am getting older. If it's important to me I must work at it, learn it, mess up a few times, gaij experience and practice it. I'm not going to just become wise, I must learn.  I'm not going to just have knowledge, I must gain it first.  I'm not just going to become a prayer warrior, I must pray. I'm not just going to become a great chef, I must cook. The list could go on. But most importanly my life has become more purposeful,  passionate and  inspired. 8 have things to develop and cultivate that make me excited. Something that is hard to get is always worth the work,  not just for the end goal,  but for the process of getting there.  I know there is hope, and I have something to work towards.
I know that I am me just as I am supposed to be right now and I will continue to change. I am going to focus on learning and growing in Gods time as He teaches and refines me. But also be thankful for who He has made and be used where I am at right now.
Now go back to the present and live as you are to change your future.
Are there things you aspire to be when you grow up? What are you doing to work towards that?

(Picture #1: 4 generations of women in my family)


(Picture #2: from pinterest)

No comments:

Post a Comment