Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Linking the heart and mind

In a flurry that I have to get ready in 5 minutes. I hadn't realized what time it was. 20 minutes later I am out the door. What?? All I had to do was get dressed! Here is what happened:
My hair was a little crazy from being at the beach and in a visor all day so I began feeling like a mess. I didn't feel like anything was working. I wasn't feel comfortable, modest enough, cute enough, fitting into my clothes right.. UGH NOTHING LOOKED GOOD!

I finally just STOPPED, wearing only my under garments, I stared at myself in the mirror. What's wrong? Why am I being so difficult? I thought to myself. Why do I feel that I need to see something different when I look in the mirror? Why do I let myself get in the way of realizing that focusing on what I am wearing DOESN'T MATTER? 

I had too much clouding my mind to even think about what was really important. I had to realize the damage I was doing in that moment in my MIND. I wasn't focusing on what was really important. What does Jesus say about me? "A wife of noble character, she is worth far more than rubies." What does my husband say about me? That I am beautiful no matter what I am wearing. I had to love myself for who I am when I looked in the mirror- my HEART. No one said anything about what I was wearing all night and yet it took me 20 minutes and a breaking point for me to realize that the clothes I chose weren't a big deal. I had this idea that everyone was going to care what they saw and that there was some sort of bar I needed to reach. LIES. 

I needed to realize that what I was doing that night and the people I was going to be with were what was most important. As soon as I was able to stop and think choosing an outfit didn't seem like such a hassle. And who I saw in the mirror wasn't an outfit but just me- finally with clothes on and ready to go.

Sometimes I have to learn lessons many times over, this is one of them. That my MIND must be focused on what is in my HEART. Caring for it and putting it first on my list of what's important about myself. But I am thankful for each and every time because it help me to refocus and put into perspective what is important, and where my heart is at fault. Where I need more grace and more Jesus to change who I am. Since then, I haven't stopped to change more than once or spend time caring about what I was putting on. I focused on feeling comfortable and myself, and was able to spend time getting ready thinking about what I was doing with my day and the people that were going to be in it. I am thankful for this lesson all over again.




1 comment:

  1. I totally do this- the changing outfits a million times. And it just drives me crazy after the fact, especially when my closet is a disaster and my clean room turns to a pile of clothing that pretty much controlled my mind for that moment in time. And for what? To impress whom? Relearning this lesson, well, I too always find myself standing before my pile of clothes being taught this one--thank you for being so open to share this, and reminding me to move past the pile of clothes and focus on my heart!

    ReplyDelete