Thursday, August 29, 2013

Admiring Our Youth // Choose Beauty Link-Up

I love our youth. Especially the amazing young women of our generation! I remember being in high school and thinking I was struggling and dealing with hard things. But it doesn't even compare to the stories I hear from girls today. They go through tough stuff. I know there are different, mostly negative, stereotypes of teenagers these days and it makes me sad. I have found from years of working with teenagers the more we tell them that they have no future and are wasting their lives the more they will. But if we empower them and encourage them to be all they can be, then I think we will be surprised that they will exceed our expectations far past what we thought. We continually see our "culture" tainting the true meaning of beauty and young girls are affected the most. They look up to their moms, role models, celebrities, and the girls walking down the street, but those girls are affected by it all too. How are they supposed to find True Beauty when those that are guiding them struggle just as much. Through studying, learning, prayer, guidance, understanding, practice and more, many of them, with grace, rise above and learn from their struggles and problems, a lot better than I did at their age. They show character, and even honesty in sharing what they deal with and how hard it is. They are also passionate and have dreams for their future for the amazing things they want to do, they will be world changers.

And because I love them so much, I want to honor them this next week. I want to highlight some of the amazing young women that I have the pleasure of knowing. Each day, starting today, I will introduce you to one of them. I asked them each a few questions and will share their answers with you throughout. I will tell you what I see in them and will show you their true beauty.

To kick it off meet
Kerry


 As you can tell she is a beauty that radiates when she smiles. But this beauty comes from within. She is one of the kindest, funniest, heart warming, passionate young women you will ever meet.  She is intelligent and a magnificent dancer to top it all off. Kerry is 18 years old and just went off to Baylor University to study Occupational Therapy and desires to work with kids one day. She understands that she is unique,  "My firm belief in the value and rarity of myself and each person makes me unique. I believe each person, whether they realize it or not, is so loved, so special, and so prized simply because God crafted them and was willing to die for them. I allow this belief to free me from the expectations of others, and as a result I can be myself anywhere." 


What is your biggest struggle when competing with the culture?
 "For me, there are two things. The first is competing with the world's idea of beauty. Every woman longs to be and feel beautiful. It's important for us, as christian women, to know our beauty comes from God and his work in us. We are beautiful just because he made us. If we bash ourselves we are ultimately bashing God's artistry. Another struggle that I've dealt with is embracing my identity and unique qualities in God. God has taught me that he made me with certain quirks and in a certain way. Over the years I have learned to be goofy when I feel like it, and ask deep questions when I want to, because those are aspects of my unique and special personality. I try not to listen to people if they think I'm weird, because the only thing that matter is what God thinks of me."
 How do you define beauty?
"There are two types of beauty- External and Internal; however, these two types can overlap. People seem to be more externally beautiful when I realize how beautiful their soul is. True beauty is embracing a pure being that strives to love God and love others."
What is the source of your passion and strength? 
"Simply, Jesus. 2 Corinthians 9:12 says his grace is sufficient for you, for his power is made perfect in your weakness. Without him I would be void of all true passion and strength."

 If you could encourage other girls your age, what is one thing you would tell them? 
"Every morning remember why you are here. Remember what Christ did for you, and let that change and shape your life daily. Do this with complete confidence knowing that nothing and no one in this world can take away the innate beauty you possess because of your creator."


I have known Kerry for 4 years now and am lucky to call her a friend, and I definitely get the better end of the deal.She has taught me so much in our relationship. I have been challenged by her through her loving questions and kind words to look at who I really am and why I am doing something. I have learned to communicate and share what is going on in my life, by her openness to want to pursue relationship with me. Our time from the beginning is valuable to both of us.



(Pictures by Leif Brandt Photography. To see the rest of her senior shoot click here.)



No comments:

Post a Comment